Friday, May 23, 2008

Divine Sandalwood...


I love this fragrant wood called Sandalwood since my childhood and wanted to share few interesting facts about it. It is very very expensive and rare, and has a wonderful fragrance which fills up the space around it. The Krishna statue above is of Sandalwood and most of the carvings sculpted are usually a God/Goddess or anything divine. The best Sandalwood is believed to be Indian Sandalwood especially from south Indian city of Mysore, but is getting rare day by day, unfortunately also is smuggled often for huge profits by crooks. It is also used in medicines and for perfumes obviously. Talking about perfumes, recently I walked into VICTORIA SECRETS and was surprised to see Sandalwood as one of the main fragrances in its collection called Amber Romance! Well thats taking divinity to the next level!! In any case, one has to enjoy the aroma of real wood and many outsiders visitng India bring atleast one such statues from south India from Bangalore and Mysore cities where the government owned famous Cauvery emporium and a few licensed private shopkeepers sell. Some of these statues are worth thousands of dollars based on the size and amount and depth of the carvings! You should defintiely see this when you visit India and remember me!:)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I've heard of sandalwood, but I new nothing about it. I enjoy your blog. I just joined your neighborhood.

Stacey Olson said...

Great photograph.. the lighting is wonderful.. hope all is well with you..

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Gorgeous picture. I love Sandalwood. The scent is so smooth and pleasant.

Anonymous said...

Doc, Nice picture and story to go with it. I think the creatively written short notes is what distinguishes this blog from other photo blogs. Great work!

Leanne Lonergan said...

I love sandalwood. What a shame it is becoming so rare!
It is always such a treat to come visit your blog.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful - sandalwood truly is divine. Just about every cream, candle, and incense stick I own is sandalwood scented.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

UjjU said...

Hey Sree, this photo is too good. Yenu khale mukha dalli. Neevu orkut nalli idhira?

Sree said...

Thanks ujju ...its true that the face has been carved very well in this one...beautiful features, the reason why I bought this one right away, nowadays we hardly come across good sandalwood figurines...with most of them compromising with the looks or features or amount of carving...